Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Worst Sports Franchise


Now I have been thinking about this now for awhile who just is the worst franchise in all of professional sports. When I thought about this many names went racing through my head, not so much like Nascar but you get the gist. Names like the Arizona Cardinals, Houston Texans, Detroit Lions, Pittsburgh Pirates, even my lovable Chicago Cubs. Then after about 10 minutes or so of thinking I had an epiphany somewhat like that of Adrian Monk from the show Monk, but I didn't solve a murder. The team I had thought of appeared vibrantly floating through my head while I could imagine the alcoholics in the stands being disappointed yet another year again. Using the dreaded sports phrase "Hey.... theres always next season", that makes fans cringe.

The team in my head was none other than the Minnesota Vikings. Now I know what your saying "Hold the phone here, the Vikings have won a decent amount of games year after year". That's just the problem though they constantly give fans that glimmer of hope in every game and every season that something is going to change, but things stay the same. The Minnesota Vikings is that girl at your school that is the tease, the one you have been trying to get with, the one that keeps flirting with you making you think this is your chance, but she keeps letting you down and you know all she will ever be is a tease. Like many men you keep coming back to this girl that is the tease because you think things will be different even though in these guys heads they know things will be the same.

Every year its the new off season acquisitions that lead to the new marketing campaign for the Vikings fans to get them to come out and support another year of the team, even though they keep many of the broken pieces they had the previous year and expect to yield a different result. Once the fans see the new look Vikings for the season they are lured in for another year of heartache because of the broken pieces still left on the team. After a Vikings game or season the stadium usually smells like alcohol and broken dreams along with a laundry list of fans put on a 24-hour suicide watch, you can usually experience the same thing if you go over to John Daly or Vince Young's house at any time.

As one of my professor's best put it "If I were a Viking fan I would walk into oncoming traffic". The bruised eye they leave fans every year matches their purple jersey color along with the yellow which represents another season pissed down the drain. Keep supporting the team Vikings fans, but if they don't win this season "Hey..... theres always next season".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home